Building & Civil Workers
- Cover up to 70 years of age
- Worldwide coverage (payments only when in Australia)
Building & Civil Industry Worker Benefits
Income Protection (Injury and Illness)
- Leisure time injury and illness
- Up to 85% of pre disability earnings to a maximum benefit of $1,600 per week (from March 2019)
- 21 days excess period on claims
- Up to 2 years benefit period
Portable Sick Leave
Allows employees that accrue sick leave to bank days that would normally be lost when they leave or change employment.
- Bank unused sick leave days on termination
- Capped to 100 days maximum
- CIP Termination must be completed online or a form completed by employer
- Not available to casual workers
- Held for 2 years from last contribution
- Days returned to employer if employee returns to employer within 6 months
CIP Termination Forms are available on this website under or via the employer online contribution advice. The form must be completed by the employer and submitted to CIP to ensure sick leave entitlements are banked for the workers.
WorkCover Top Up Benefits
Covers eligible insured workers once WorkCover benefits reduce below 85% of pre-disability earnings.
- Top-Up benefit to a combined maximum $1,600 per week after 26 weeks, once WorkCover reduces payment below 85% of pre disability income, need to provide a letter from WorkCover.
- Up to 78 weeks benefit from date WorkCover reduces payment
- Top-Up ceases when WorkCover stops payment
The current Building Industry Worker contribution rates are:
- From first pay period of March 2019 - $39.30 per person, per week
Employers are required to pay the contribution per week (no pro-rata) for each employee in accordance with the Constitution. Contributions for each month can be submitted from the 1st of the new month and are due no later than the last working day of the next month.
Contributions must be maintained for all workers regardless of the absence ie; on workcover, annual leave, leave without pay, the constitution requires weekly payments to be contributed whilst the employee is employed, or when a worker has lodged a claim under the fund. This is an insurance product and if monthly contributions are not maintained workers will have no insurance cover for those periods where there have been no payments.
What is not Covered
- Childbirth or pregnancy or their complications
- War whether declared or not, invasion or civil war, rebellion or insurrection.
- Intentional self-injury or suicide or any attempt at suicide.
- Flying or other aerial activity unless a passenger in a properly licensed aircraft.
- The worker’s illegal act.
- Training for or playing in competitive club sport or activity organised by any sporting organisation, authority or club.
- A period of disablement resulting from any sickness, disease or medical condition for which the worker has required medication, or any treatment or advice from a doctor, chiropractor, physiotherapist, psychologist or psychiatrist in the six (6) months before the commencement date of their cover.
- The insured person’s use of alcohol or drugs unless the drugs have been prescribed by a registered medical practitioner and used as per registered medical practitioner’s instructions.
- Any time during which a worker is serving a prison sentence or remanded in custody and, if already on a claim, any period of claim during which a worker is serving a prison sentence or remanded in custody.
- Any injury or illness for which statutory insurance or compensation scheme provides compensation
- Terrorism exclusion applies.
- No benefits are payable upon your 70th birthday.
NOTE: No payments will be made under this policy when the insured person is outside Australia. If disabled overseas, payments will only commence and become effective when the worker returns to Australia.
Please note: Construction Income Protection Limited (CIPL) is the administrator of the Accident and Illness Benefits Program and Portable Sick Leave Scheme. The insurance policy is arranged by Windsor Management Insurance Brokers and distributed by CIPL. CIPL does not manage or process claims. All claims are managed and processed by Total Claims Solutions, who has been appointed as claims manager of QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited. CIPL does not give any advice in relation to the insurance policy.